Illinois semitruck crash causes 5 fatalities and an ammonia leak evacuation for residents
– Semitruck carrying 7,500 gallons of ammonia overturns in Illinois.
– Multi-vehicle crash leads to five fatalities and five hospitalizations.
– Evacuation of 500 people within a one-mile radius due to ammonia leak.
– Approximately 4,000 gallons of ammonia released; leak partially patched.
– Effingham County officials describe the situation as "very serious" and "fluid."
– Large plume from ammonia leak creates dangerous air conditions.
– Effingham County Sheriff orders evacuation in northeast Teutopolis.
– Emergency responders face challenges due to hazardous air conditions.
– National Transportation Safety Board to investigate the crash.
– Inhalation of anhydrous ammonia can be fatal; substance described as "terrible."