Instagram's Threads Surpasses 100 Million Users
– Instagram's new Threads app has achieved over 100 million users in a remarkably short time, surpassing the milestone faster than even ChatGPT.
– Threads launched recently, and within two hours, it acquired 2 million users, steadily growing to 5 million, 10 million, 30 million, and finally 70 million users.
– The growth of Threads has exceeded expectations, according to CEO Mark Zuckerberg, who described it as "way beyond our expectations."
– The milestone was primarily achieved through organic growth, as confirmed by Zuckerberg and Instagram head Adam Mosseri in separate Threads posts.
– Users on Threads are not just signing up but actively posting, with more than 95 million posts and 190 million likes shared on the app as of Thursday.
– While Threads has shown early success, its long-term cultural impact is yet to be determined and compared to Twitter's influence.
– Meta, the parent company of Instagram, does not specifically aim to replace Twitter and does not actively encourage politics and hard news on the platform.
– The launch week of Threads has been highly promising, but its long-term user retention is still uncertain, according to Mosseri.
– Twitter's user numbers, as of last November, indicated around 260 million monetizable daily active users, with recent data suggesting a downward trend in traffic.
– Cloudflare CEO Matthew Prince noted that Twitter's traffic is "tanking" based on external data.