UK PM Sunak says no plans to send troops to Ukraine
– UK PM Sunak says no immediate plans to send British troops to Ukraine.
– Sunak rowing back from comments by UK defence minister.
– UK and allies have avoided formal military presence in Ukraine to reduce risk of direct conflict with Russia.
– Sunak: "There are no British soldiers that will be sent to fight in the current conflict."
– UK has provided military training courses to around 20,000 Ukrainians over the past year.
– UK intends to train a similar number of Ukrainians going forward.
– Sunak says training is "best way to support Ukraine in its fight against Russia."
– Russia has warned that any British soldiers training Ukrainian troops in Ukraine would be legitimate targets.
– Sunak's comments come as Ukraine and Russia prepare for a major offensive in the eastern Donbas region.
– Ukraine has been calling on its allies to provide more military assistance, including heavy weapons.
US President Joe Biden has said that the US will continue to support Ukraine
– but has ruled out sending US troops to fight in the conflict.